Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Flooding in Iowa

I just returned from my Pocket of Pearl workshops in the Quad cities area of Iowa. I was staying with my sister and her family when the flooding in Iowa occurred. She lives about 1 hour away from the Cedar Rapids area; however, many in her community were being affected as well. All over South and Eastern Iowa the flooding ruined homes, businesses, and blocked roads.

We watched it on the nationwide news of CNN, the reports were frightening, and it was still raining. My stay was extended a few days since many roads and highways in Iowa were flooded. As I watched family after family interviewed, my heart went out to them. Many were without their homes and did not have flood insurance. Flooding was taking place in many areas of Iowa, while having a sad death toll as well. I am keeping them in my prayers daily that they find the strength to get through this.

We could not believe the flooding nightmare after watching and hearing of the Tornado’s that swept through Iowa the week before. My home in northern Iowa just had a weekend of serious ‘just misses’ with tornado's. However, Parkersburg, Iowa was wiped out. Many, many homes and businesses were completely flattened in a mere few minutes. In addition, to the Boy Scout camp in western Iowa that took the lives of 4 people.

We shake our heads and try to understand why, but there isn’t an answer we can accept. This is the time where people truly reach out to one another and where strangers step up to help as if they are family. Please keep the Midwest in your prayers and thoughts daily. It will take a long time to rebuild these cities and homes, and they will need your positive and healing energy during this time.

However, in some parts of this area life did go on as normal as possible. I attended my Pocket of Pearls workshops and met so many incredible people. Each person I personally spoke to connected with the need to find a softer voice for themselves. Many of the workshop participants purchased additional books for friends, while solidifying with me where to purchase their second month’s journal.

If you are interested in having a Pocket of Pearls workshop in your area, visit my website and click on the ‘Contact Merna’ in the upper right hand corner, click on the small Icon.

I leave you with my thoughts and prayers for the disaster victims and their families.

My Best,

Merna

No comments: